Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Blown away by Nantucket

Blown away by Nantucket

I'm flying to London in two days. My to-do list is too long to give this entry about my visit to Nantucket the novel of comments it deserves. What made it all so special was the extraordinarily fine fall weather.

I stayed in Mashpee on Cape Cod and took the ferry to the island. I walked Nantucket town on my own and did one walking tour but no rolling tours and definitely no car or bike rental. The island has way too many vehicles for its size and leisurely pace of life. I hope they do something to restrict 4-wheel traffic to preserve the historic streets and sanity of the year-round residents (fine folks).
 

The amazing Atheneum (library), the Whaling Museum (don't miss their walking tour) and Historical Society (tucked on a quaint back street) all contributed greatly to research for my historical novel. I enjoyed a variety of good food, bought some collectible marbles at a pier shop and took a motor boat tour of the harbor.

In addition to Nantucket, I toured Cape Cod by steam train, attended a glass blowing demonstration at the Sandwich glass museum, and explored the shops and sites of Hyannis.
Many thanks for excellent Airbnb hospitality by Stephen. I felt right at home. A perfect place for my visits to Nantucket and Boston.

1 comment: